Keystone's Fire Safety Checklist
Although you should review your fire risk assessment every year, there are steps you can take in between to ensure you are as fire ready as possible. There are currently no statutory checks that you should take place but it's really important to conduct regular checks to ensure both you are well prepared.
Here is our checklist with our suggested daily, weekly and monthly checks.
- Can all fire exits be opened immediately and easily?
- Are the fire doors propped open?
- Are fire doors clear of obstructions?
- Are escape routes clear?
- Is the fire assembly point clear and accessible?
- Are the call points and the control panels normal?
- Are the exit signs working?
- Are all fire extinguishers in place?
- Are the fire extinguishers clearly visible?
- Do all emergency fastening devices to fire exits work correctly (push bars and pads)?
- Are external routes clear and safe?
- Does testing a manual call point send a signal to the indicator panel? (Remember to disconnect the link to the receiving centre or tell them you are doing a test!)
- Did the alarm system work correctly when tested?
- Did staff and pupils hear the fire alarm?
- Is all equipment in good condition?
- Do all electronic release mechanisms on escape doors work correctly?
- Do they 'fail safe' in the open position?
- Are fire door seals and self-closing devices in good condition?
- Do all internal self-closing fire doors work correctly?
- Do all exit signs function correctly when tested?
- Is the pressure in 'stored pressure' fire extinguishers at the normal level?
- Has any firefighting or emergency evacuation lift been tested by a competent person?
- Has any sprinkler system been tested by a competent person?
- Have the release and closing mechanisms of any fire resisting compartment doors and shutters been tested by a competent person?
- Have new staff being briefed on the fire procedure?
- Have existing staff had any updates to the emergency procedures?
- Has the system been checked by a competent person?
- Do all self-closing re doors fit correctly? Is escape route compartmentation in good repair?
- Has all firefighting equipment been checked by a competent person?
Download the fire safety checklist to keep!
When you subscribe to the blog, we will send you an e-mail when there are new updates on the site so you wouldn't miss them.